I was going to do a more coherent review of last night's show, but then I got two and a half hours of sleep. Yawn. So, have some random thoughts, and then some pictures and video. How about that?
- Phantom Planet: was ... odd. Their lead singer has an assload of charisma, and a couple of their songs sounded really catchy. But, they only played like four songs, choosing to spend what was probably the length of an entire other song vamping with other musicians on stage. While I don't mind
surprise!Ryan or Hushies in superhero masks, it also didn't give me much time to form an opinion of PP as a band.
- Hushies in superhero masks, though, were completely made of win! (Apparently they decided to raid the Toys R Us next door sometime during the day.) I don't remember what masks Darren and Chris had on, but Greta was either Batman or Catwoman, and Bob spent the whole song banging on a drum with a gigantic rubber Hulk hand.
- The Hush Sound: completely awesome, cannot WAIT for their headlining show in July! They have phenomenal energy onstage. I missed their last couple of songs, though, in a foolish attempt to reach the merch booth. I didn't feel like waiting in the half-hour-long line, but then I had to bowl over about a dozen people to get back to my spot. Yeah, you morons were the ones who decided standing on the stairs was a good idea, don't give me the fucking death glare when I actually want to USE them.
- Motion City Soundtrack: is one of my favorite bands in the entire universe, and I will hear no bad about them ever. ;) There is NOTHING like one of their shows for me. They might have gotten a longer set for being at home, because their set felt just as long as the Panic set to me! I didn't look at my phone, though, for time, so I don't know. Anyway, entirely made of win, as usual. They played "Time Turned Fragile", which is one of my favorite songs ever, so I was happy!
- Panic! Not too much interesting to report in the way of onstage banter - mostly, it was just a lot of rambling that had leighblack
leaning over to me and asking, "um, there must be a lot of ... fumes on their bus, right?" The best part was when Spencer decided to answer a question we were asking earlier in the show - usually, there are two gigantic air vents in the ceiling at Myth, and when the pit gets too hot, they spray (very loud) cold air all over the crowd. Nothing doing last night, though. Well, apparently someone forgot to fill the CO2 tanks over the holiday, which Spencer proclaimed "fucking BULLSHIT", like it was a personal insult to him or something. Hee. Ryan, meanwhile, was super-animated (for Ryan), and Jon was apparently holding his own private dance party over on his side of the stage. (Oh, yes, and he informed us that this was the "600,000th time" they've played "I Write Sins ..." Heh. Yes, we get it, you guys hate that song now. Sucks to be you.) But mostly, since I had a clear view, I watched Spencer a lot. I find myself unreasonably amused by the fact that he treats every
song - even "Folkin' Around" - like it's a punk song, in terms of energy. I love him a lot, you guys.
Anyway. Have some photos and video!( a few semi-crappy photos )( some not-quite-as-crappy videos )
In conclusion, a good time was had by all! And now I'm going to go to work and die. Happy Wednesday!