I wasn't going to do this, because I always feel like asking for things for myself is weird, but then I got some ideas today and thought "hey, why not?" You don't get anything if you don't make it known you want it, right?
The rules: Step One
- Make a post (public, friendslocked, filtered...whatever you're comfortable with) to your LJ. The post should contain your list of 10 holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fandom-related ("I'd love a Snape/Hermione icon that's just for me") to medium ("I wish for _____ on DVD") to really big ("All I want for Christmas is a new car/computer/house/TV.") The important thing is, make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
- If you wish for real life things (not fics or icons), make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it's your address or just your email address where Santa (or one of his elves) could get in touch with you.
- Also, make sure you post some version of these guidelines in your LJ so that the holiday joy will spread.
- Surf around your friendslist (or friendsfriends, or just random journals) to see who has posted their list. And now here's the important part:
- If you see a wish you can grant, and it's in your heart to do so, make someone's wish come true. Sometimes someone's trash is another's treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don't want or a gift certificate you won't use--or even know where you could get someone's dream purebred Basset Hound for free--do it.
You needn't spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn't to put people out, it's to provide everyone a chance to be someone else's holiday elf--to spread the joy. Gifts can be made anonymously or not--it's your call.
There are no rules with this project, no guarantees, and no strings attached. Just...wish, and it might come true. Give, and you might receive. And you'll have the joy of knowing you made someone's holiday special.( my wish list behind the curtain! )
The unofficial 11th item is, of course, to grant a wish on someone else's list, because seeing someone surprised by a gift is always wonderful! 'tis the season, all that.
If you don't have my address and find yourself needing it, email me @livejournal, or if you want the element of surprise, go see sister_wolf
and she'll be able to point you in the right direction. :)
I'm going to go hunting down wish lists - you people started EARLY this year! I was not ready to think about the holidays! - but, please feel free to link your wish list in the comments here! I want to collect a whole set!